Happy Valentine’s Day to all of our clients, partners, friends, and families! Aside from electric savings, TriStem also helps businesses and organizations with water bill audits. The water industry is facing many obstacles today such as repairing the aging water infrastructure and recovering increasing operational costs. As a result, some municipalities have increased water rates as much as 50% in recent years. With water costs on the rise, we’d like to share some conservation tips you can use for your business or your home!
- Install low flow devices on your faucets. Low flow devices use 1.5 gallons per minute versus older devices which use 2.2 gallons per minute.
- Get new toilets. Newer efficient toilets use 2 gallons per flush, while older toilets use 5 gallons per flush. This can add up to saving thousands of gallons per year.
- Reduce landscape water use. Consider harvesting rain for landscaping. Leftover drinking water can also be reused to water plants.
- Sweep instead of hosing off areas. Many businesses hose down areas which wastes a lot of water. Consider alternate cleaning methods.
- Inform employees and family members of water saving measures. Post flyers and notes in bathrooms and kitchen areas reminding employees to be conscious of their water usage.
- Check your bills. Check for leaks and study utility bills to see if there have been any spikes in water usage. Contact plumbers ASAP and the utility company to see if part of your bill can be reduced during a leak.
- Stay on top of repairs. Don’t let that faucet drip any longer. Get it fixed today! Check other pipes for leaks and have them repaired.
- Set conservation goals. If objectives aren’t written down, they don’t exist. Figure out how much you want to reduce your water usage, write down the goal and benchmark your progress each month.